Saturday, June 16, 2012

VENTURING NEW HORIZONS

When I was young, I remember doing the exercise called “Close-open.” It was a way for my parents to check my ability to recall, my span of attention and my motor skills. As I was growing, I realized the deeper lesson in that activity. Our parents thought us the value of “holding on” and the importance of learning when and how to “let go.”

For more than two years I was affiliated with The Phoinix Consulting Corporation, a training and consulting firm based in Zamboanga City. My experience started out as a project-based employee in December of 2010 until I was formally invited to join the team in May of 2011. Having graduated with a degree far from what is expected of me in the corporate world, I was still optimistic to be able to pull things through. I started as a Corporate Trainer in which I was exposed to program designs and conducted several runs and learning session. I remember doing evaluation activities after every run, we were asked to answer the following questions: 1. What went well and 2. What could have been done differently. Right then and there Ms Candy Antonio our Managing Director and Senior Consultant got my utmost respect and admiration. An organization that sees positive things, an organization that practices what they preach and an organization that is true to its cause of developing leaders. Remembered her asking me to read the book of Edward de Bono entitled The Six Thinking Hats, that was a real challenge for me as I was very lazy when it comes to reading but to my surprise she did not get angry but instead was challenged by me (oh no! Hahaha). I started out doing a “team-teach” trainings with a Senior Trainer, until such time that I was given my own opportunity grow on my own. Having been exposed to Phoinix was one of the greatest gifts God has given me. When I was younger, I was very much particular with “titles,” in Phoinix I’ve realized that what is not what’s after the comma placed after your name but what’s in between your ears. If I am to say in Spiderman’s way, “with heavy titles, comes greater (suuuuper great!) responsibilities! In three months time, I was promoted to Senior Program Coordinator. I’ve touched Marketing and Consulting projects for our clients. In the last months of the 2nd quarter of 2012 I was being groomed to take on the position as Consulting Accounts Officer. Hell I was resisting it! Consulting seemed like a promising profession however you must also live-up to all its expectations and in that case I find myself not yet that ready. One day, after having a serious talk with my mom, I’ve realized that yes I am still young and that the world is too big for me to stop exploring more fields for growth.
 
From the movies we watch in the television more often than not people in the story resign because of failed office relationships, bad pay or they find no meaning in what they do. But my case is real and far from ordinary, would you believe that my boss helped me draft my resignation letter? She was even correcting my grammar and even gave me advises on how to improve my letter. I was really moved as to how she was still true to her promise of helping us learn even if it means loosing us (I hope she was not just hurriedly trying to get rid of me! hahaha). Yes saying goodbye is never easy but everything happens for a reason and only God knows what it is.

Thank you Phoinix Team! Thank you to our dear President and CEO Ms Lyn Datu my mentor and coach! Thank you too to our Managing Director Ms Candy Antonio my teacher, adviser, mentor and friend! Thanks Ms Nadia for always trying to connect amidst all the challenges! Thank you Ms Lyndy Lim for being a second mother to me and a friend! Thank you Ms Vianca for being a true friend and a supportive workmate! Thanks  too to Ate Ann Ufana for the food that she prepares for us for lunch! A thank you is not enough to express how truly grateful I am to have known all of you! Wish you all the best! Godspeed!

2 comments:

  1. Although we might not know it, but somehow, destiny has has intertwined our fate in work, for some different justified reasons :) For the newly resigned partners!

    Followed and commented:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe thanks for following and the comment partner! God bless us! ;)

    ReplyDelete