Tuesday, November 13, 2012

BUSINESS CARD ETIQUETTE 101

 Who would have thought that there is more to it in giving out your business cards?

The first time I met my Marketing Coach Ms Lyndy Lim, the first thing she did after introducing herself to me was giving out her calling card in which I smilingly took with my right hand. She reacted and corrected me right then and there. When you give out your calling card you make sure that it is faced towards the person whom you’re giving it to. Using the thumb and point finger of your two hands you hold both ends of the calling card and extend your arms towards the person. Accordingly it originated from the Chinese who gives out things of value with two hands as a sign of sincerity and respect. The same way as how they were given to you, receive the card with the thumb and point finger of your two hands.

Giving and Receiving Business Card
You usually read aloud the name of the person in the card once you receive it to send out the message that you acknowledge his presence and at the same time you wish to confirm how his name is pronounced for better conversations.

You do not put the card immediately in your pocket unless you ask permission from the one who gave you his card. The best time to keep the card is minutes after the client or the person just left.
A calling card speaks of many things about an individual and the organization he/she represents. Not because your name, position or title and contact number is there does not necessarily automatically give you the personality whom you want to project. The simpler, the better it is for the person to remember you and your organization. Most top managers are of wise age so they prefer simple yet catchy calling cards.

A calling card is a simple yet important marketing tool. It may either make or break your impression depending upon how you carry out yourself. Just remember, everyone wants to be treated with respect that is why it is best to understand and apply the basic etiquettes in giving out your business cards.

5 comments:

  1. This is very informative Jerrick. This may be very basic but I believe, in some circumstances, this can make or break a deal. Kudos!
    In my marketing experience, I also learned that when you receive a business card, it is advised that when you are the receiver, you have to read the name and the position of the person who handed you down the card. It can also give you a benchmark on where and how to start a conversation. Nice one. Do you mind if I share this on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I secretly observe and wait for people's reactions to when they receive my card as well. There are varied comments but I am also aware I am observed with how I fetch my card and present it to them... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuri-Thank you for adding in to this article. Your points are well taken. (^-^) Please feel free to share it with your friends! Thanks!

    Raisie-indeed different people differ in their reactions. Glad to know I am not alone. Thanks for reading my short article! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative. I noticed that people in the corporate world do this indeed and I sort of realized that this must be the proper way to do it. I should prepare a business card case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked the article ms Ricamora (^-^). God bless you!

    ReplyDelete